Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Bonnaroo, Bonnaroo, Bonnnnaarrrooooohooooo

                                           ******  BONNAROO 2011  ******
                                            
There are some experiences in life that can not be described through any language... They must be lived.  Bonnaroo, is one of those experiences. 

If you were like me a year ago, you're probably like Bonawhat? Manchester, TN... Where the hell is that?  Are you crazy, who the hell wants to go on vacation to Manchester, TN? No showers?  You're going to live on a farm for 4 days? You do know it's going to be like 95 degrees plus humidity right?  Have you lost your mind....

Yes, yes I have.

And I am so glad I did.

What started out as just a great idea, evolved into one of the most epic experiences of my life. 700 acres of farmland filled with a sea of tents and campers as far as the eyes can see.  With 147 bands from every genre of music from Eminem to Loretta Lynn and over 100,000 attendees and volunteers, Bonnaroo has been dubbed the Woodstock of today's generation.


The word Bonnaroo actually means "A really good time" and was popularized in 1974 by a New Orleans R&B giant Dr. John (see Wikipedia "Bonnaroo).  And that is exactly what it was.  Of course, we had our fair share of challenges.  As Bonnaroo virgins, no matter how much time you spend reading forums or trying to anticipate what obstacles you may face, you really don't know what to expect until you are there. But the Bonnaroo Gods were with us every step of the way.  It may have been the high spirited vibe that followed us from the moment we got into the car from sheer excitement that this idea was really evolving into something real.

Everyone, and I mean everyone, we met was unbelievably helpful and shared whatever they had, whether it was water, shade, beer, clothes....knowledge, experience, and their souls.  After being stuck on a freeway for 7 hours and only moving 4 miles (think the worst LA traffic ever times 10), you meet a lot of really awesome people..... And the crazy thing about being in that traffic was that not one horn ever sounded.  Everyone just got out of their cars, hung out, shared grilled cheese sandwiches and talked about what acts they were most excited to see or their past Bonnaroo experiences.  Even the State Troopers were great busting jokes and keeping us entertained  (Please see FB friendlist for proof).

There are definitely better ways then others to experience Bonnarro (see my sister Jesse Jones' blog on "Bonnaroo:  Lessons Learned for more details).  Obviously we were lucky to have an RV, which is like staying in Beverly Hills vice Compton -- Our neighbors ended up being the same guys we had been in traffic with the entire night and we created our own little Bonnaroo Community.  I have to give a shout-out to Christopher Equipment Rental Center who do not normally rent generators, but not only found us one from about 30 minutes away, tested it, discovered it was broken, found us ANOTHER one, brought it to the Manchester store AND helped us load it.  Manchester hospitality coupled with the great people are what made this experience so amazing.

I could go on and on about how great Bonnaroo was.... and unless you were born in the 60s and went to Woodstock or you nostalgically recall your first Bonnaroo experience, you'll never know what I'm talking about until you experience it for yourself.  Despite record temperatures, difficult living arrangements, exhaustion, and virtually partying like rockstars for four days, I didn't meet one mean person.  No one was rude, pushy, hateful, or annoying.  EVERYONE and I mean EVERYONE was awesome.

Looking back, I know now I will never experience something quite like it ever again. Yes, you can keep going every year like so many do, but nothing is as memorable as your first time.  It only happens once.  AND I am so grateful for it.  The people are what make Bonnaroo as unforgettable as it is.  I am glad I was able to share this experience with my sister Jesse who made the entire trip a reality.  If it wasn't for her, I may never have had the opportunity.  But like all things in life, it's all about the journey and the people that make this life what it is.  And everything, EVERYTHING happens for a reason -- and I am forever grateful for the countless blessings and unforgetable moments in my life -- like this one.

1 comment:

  1. I loved reading this! (I was wondering when you posted on FB that you were making friends with State Troopers, what adventure you were on!)So glad you had this experience, and now I wanna go!

    ReplyDelete